11 Apr 2011

Nightshift: Projectionist Joe Detor

Published: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 6:12 AM Updated: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 11:38 AM


By Ngoc Huynh, The Post-Standard

Joe Detor, 79, is the projectionist at the Palace Theatre in Syracuse.


RESUME

"I've been a projectionist since 1945. I worked at the Globe on Kirkpatrick, Acme on Butternut and Cameo on Geddes. I've worked at The Palace since 1960."

FORMER OWNER FRANCES DiBELLA

"I got along with her really good."

BACK IN THE DAY

"Them days, movies were 25 cents. We used to go all the time. You had no TV, and you didn't have anything else to do."

MY FIRST JOB

"I started when I was 16 years old. The boss, who also owned the theater, said, 'We need some help,' and that's how I got the job."

MULTIPLE HANDS

"I've always worked part-time at the theater. I retired from Crouse-Hinds, part of Cooper Industries. I worked there for 43 years until I retired in'91."

BEST ONE YET

"My favorite movie of all time is 'Raiders of the Lost Ark.' We played it at The Palace for about 13 weeks."

FIVE MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS

"Gone With the Wind"
"Doctor Zhivago"
"The Sound of Music"
"My Fair Lady"
"Ben-Hur"

PERSONAL

"I'm single."

"I live in East Syracuse."

"I served in the Army in Korea for 13 months."

"I like baseball. I'm a Yankee fan. I'm going to New York City next month to see the Yankees play the Royals."

No comments: